[openstack-dev] [all][tc] How to deal with confusion around "hosted projects"

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jun 30 08:19:21 UTC 2017

Fox, Kevin M wrote:
> [...]
> So whats really unclear to end users is that when they talk about a piece of "openstack" they may be talking about a great many things:
> 1. is it managed under the 4 opens
> 2. is it in github.com/openstack.
> 3. is it under openstack governance.
> 4. is it an 'openstack project' (what does this mean anymore. I thought that was #3, but maybe not?)
> 5. is "openstack" part of its title
>
> Is a project part of openstack if it meets one of those? all of them? or some subset? If we can't answer it, I'm not sure users will ever understand it.

We can totally answer it. The "official" answer is (3) (synonymous to
(4)). The trick is, the project list on our governance website is a
*lot* less visible than (2) or (5), so it's very easy to appear as an
openstack project while not being one. Which is precisely the confusion
I'd like us to clear out one way or another.

My initial suggestion (on the other thread) was to give some brand name
to things that are hosted/companion/friends/neighbors/stackforge, so
that we can more easily apply that mark and incrementally reduce the
confusion.

The thread went on discussing other corrective measures at the edge
(like turning github.org/openstack into more curated content, and/or
removing the openstack/ prefix from all of our repositories). All good
suggestions.

This thread introduced yet another possibility: no longer accept hosting
for projects outside of openstack governance. This clarifies things a
lot, but presents challenges of its own, as that space was pretty
convenient to bootstrap projects or host companion projects, as well as
build a community.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)