[openstack-dev] [all][tc] How to deal with confusion around "hosted projects"

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Thu Jun 29 20:57:20 UTC 2017

On 29/06/17 10:18, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> Gerrit's design assumes project names (including any prefixed
> namespace) never change. This means project renames in Gerrit are
> painful and disruptive (service outage for everyone, Git remote
> changes for anyone working on that repo, risk of breaking things
> with a SQL update query or directory move, et cetera). There is no
> good automation for transfers between orgs in GH either so handling
> this is a manual process involving lot of clicking around in a Web
> browser. Project renames also touch other systems (our many Git
> servers, StoryBoard) so more places to make mistakes or miss
> something.

Or just abandon all pending patches, delete the branches, and clone the
git repo to a fresh project?

For a project at an early enough stage that they're just managing to
convince the TC that they have the critical mass to be a 'going concern'
following the 4 opens (and thus able to become an official project),
that's not even that onerous. We effectively did it with Heat when
moving from GitHub to StackForge and at worst it was a minor annoyance
for a couple of days.

We can't keep giving away our trademark to literally anybody who comes
along. In retrospect, if our top priority was to avoid renaming we
should have moved the official projects to the stackforge/ namespace
instead of the other way around.