[openstack-dev] [all][tc] How to deal with confusion around "hosted projects"

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jun 29 17:04:35 UTC 2017

On 2017-06-29 08:49:19 -0500 (-0500), Jimmy McArthur wrote:
[...]
> If there is specifically confusion around Google searches, I'd
> suggest as a first step to spend some time working on redirects
> for dead projects and very clearly updating documentation. For all
> of Google's magic, there are some simple and easy rules to help
> correct bad search data.

A good idea, but we're actually not (yet) letting Google or other
robots-abiding crawlers index our repositories on git.openstack.org
until https://review.openstack.org/427959 or something like it
lands.

> Additionally, we just implemented SwifType on OpenStack.org and
> docs.o.o b/c Google deprecated their Site Search product. We have
> a ton of control over that search and can very easily modify
> search results.

At the moment we maintain a specialized search engine for source
code at http://codesearch.openstack.org/ which is a bit more
empowering than basic Web content searches, and it might be a good
idea to see if we can better integrate that in the places where
people see a need for it.

> Let me know if I can be of service on any of these fronts.

Always appreciated!
--
Jeremy Stanley