[openstack-dev] [all][tc] How to deal with confusion around "hosted projects"

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Jun 29 14:54:10 UTC 2017

Jimmy McArthur wrote:
> Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> The confusion I'm talking about is not the passive-aggressive from
>> people involved in openstack. It's from our prospective new users, who
>> have no idea about our governance, making random searches on Google.
>> It's from people getting hit by marketing message from projects claiming
>> to be official OpenStack projects, while they are not. It's extremely
>> difficult for those to see clearly, especially with all our online
>> presence reinforcing the confusion.
>
> If there is specifically confusion around Google searches, I'd suggest
> as a first step to spend some time working on redirects for dead
> projects and very clearly updating documentation. For all of Google's
> magic, there are some simple and easy rules to help correct bad search
> data.

Unfortunately, those pages just exist -- those hundreds of projects
projects might be inactive, they still have git repositories and wiki
pages. We could more actively clean them up (and then yes, adjusting the
corresponding Google juice), but (1) we don't really have any right to
do so unless we get permission (which is hard to get from dead
projects), and (2) that's a giganormous amount of maintenance work.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)