[openstack-dev] [all][tc] How to deal with confusion around "hosted projects"

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Thu Jun 29 03:28:24 UTC 2017

> The central issue being discussed here is an issue of external
> perception. It's hard for newcomers to the OpenStack world to see what
> is a part of OpenStack and what's not. If you google "openstack machine
> learning", the first hits are Cognitive and Meteos, and it's impossible
> to tell that those are actually not OpenStack projects. One of those has
> been dead for 2 years -- having people think that those are official
> projects hurts all the OpenStack projects, by lowering expectations
> around what that means, in terms of quality, maintenance, or community.

Maybe this is a bit of a tangent from the overall discussion, but
since a lot of confusion, and bad perception, can stem from dead
projects - as a first small step, could we move dead projects
out of openstack/* into closedstack/* and move or mark their wiki
to indicate it is just for legacy reference?