[openstack-dev] [all][tc] How to deal with confusion around "hosted projects"

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Jun 28 21:24:24 UTC 2017

On 06/28/2017 01:48 PM, Clay Gerrard wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 7:50 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org
> <mailto:thierry at openstack.org>> wrote:
>

>     2- it lets us host things that are not openstack but which we work on
>     (like abandoned Python libraries or GPL-licensed things) in a familiar
>     environment
>

> Do we no longer think openstack hosted infra holds a competitive
> advantage for teams that are trying to efficiently collaborate building
> software in service of the mission?

I think it absolutely does.

> If we do, why would we agree on a plan that basically tells teams that
> are trying to "get stuff done" to go work it out on github and travis ci
> or whatever?  Maybe worse, what happens when a team/project/community
> grows up around *one* workflow (not because it's better; but just
> because the OpenStack workflow is exclusionary) but then it sees it's
> operators/deployers/users adoption swelling around OpenStack and wants
> to "join"?  Is adopting the hosted infrastructure later... optional?

++ to these questions

This is the reason I do not think we should stop hosting 'non-official'
software. There are many things we have that allow for collaboration
across individual project domains that we have developed over time
exactly to address all of these issues. They may not always fit everyone
perfect, but they provide enough value that our problem is currently
that "too many people" want to collaborate directly, rather than that
our tooling is driving people away.