[openstack-dev] [storyboard][infra][docs] Report a bug and storyboard

Adam Coldrick adam.coldrick at codethink.co.uk
Wed Jun 28 20:33:55 UTC 2017

Hi Andreas,

On 2017-06-28 07:33, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> Hi Storyboard team,
>
> the openstackdocstheme has a "Report a bug" feature, where you can
> click
> on the Bug icon and get a link to project's bug area in launchpad
> together with information about the documentation (bug tag, git URL of
> build, date, SHA, extra text).
>
> How can this be done with storyboard?

Currently there is no support for this exact functionality in StoryBoard
itself.
You could add some JavaScript to the docs theme to make a POST request
to the
StoryBoard API with the relevant parameters set, but this would need
some work
to also get a valid StoryBoard access token to use in the request
somehow.

Other than that you could settle for linking to an individual project
view in
StoryBoard, for example https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/project/456
has a
button on it for logged-in users to create a story which automatically
has a
task in that project.

The ability to construct an link to StoryBoard's web UI which
automatically
populates part of the things needed to create a story seems generally
useful
though. In particular I can see it potentially being helpful for
resolving our
lack of bug templates, which has been raised as a problem on more than
one
occasion.

Supporting this type of feature would allow folk to construct URLs which
automatically populate the description field with some template of their
choice,
which should hopefully be useful enough to solve both that problem and
the need
to replicate this "Report a bug" feature adequately. I intend to take a
look at
how much work it'd be for us to implement that kind of thing in the near
future, and hopefully that'll lead to a more ideal solution than those I
outlined
above.

Best Regards,

Adam