[openstack-dev] [nova] bug triage experimentation

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Wed Jun 28 14:33:28 UTC 2017

On 06/23/2017 11:52 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> The Nova bug backlog is just over 800 open bugs, which while
> historically not terrible, remains too large to be collectively usable
> to figure out where things stand. We've had a few recent issues where we
> just happened to discover upgrade bugs filed 4 months ago that needed
> fixes and backports.
>
> Historically we've tried to just solve the bug backlog with volunteers.
> We've had many a brave person dive into here, and burn out after 4 - 6
> months. And we're currently without a bug lead. Having done a big giant
> purge in the past
> (http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-September/046517.html)
> I know how daunting this all can be.
>
> I don't think that people can currently solve the bug triage problem at
> the current workload that it creates. We've got to reduce the smart
> human part of that workload.
>
> But, I think that we can also learn some lessons from what active github
> projects do.
>
> #1 Bot away bad states
>
> There are known bad states of bugs - In Progress with no open patch,
> Assigned but not In Progress. We can just bot these away with scripts.
> Even better would be to react immediately on bugs like those, that helps
> to train folks how to use our workflow. I've got some starter scripts
> for this up at - https://github.com/sdague/nova-bug-tools

Just saw the update on https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1698010 and
I don't agree that assigned but not in progress is an invalid state.  If
it persists for a period of time then sure, but to me assigning yourself
a bug is a signal that you're working on it and nobody else needs to.
Otherwise you end up with multiple people working a bug without
realizing someone else already was.  I've seen that happen more than once.

Would it be possible to only un-assign such bugs if they've been in that
state for a week?  At that point it seems safe to say the assignee has
either moved on or that the bug is tricky and additional input would be
useful anyway.

Otherwise, big +1 to a bug bot.  I need to try running it against the
~700 open TripleO bugs...