[openstack-dev] [docs][all][ptl] Contributor Portal and Better New Contributor On-boarding

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jun 27 22:18:55 UTC 2017

On 2017-06-27 14:34:46 -0700 (-0700), Mike Perez wrote:
[...]
> ## PTG
>
> New contributors should be participating in the sessions for a
> project and get to know who are the people leading those efforts.
> People leading efforts want help. Whether it be documentation for
> the thing, implementation, testing, etc. Working with the people
> involved is a good way to get to know that feature or change. The
> people leading the effort are now invested in YOU succeeding
> because if you don't succeed, they don't either. Once you succeed
> in the feature or change with someone, you have recognition in
> people knowing you are responsible for it in some way. This is an
> awesome feeling and will lead you to either improving it more or
> going onto other things. While you're only understanding of a
> project is that thing, you may get curious and move onto other
> parts of the code. This leads to someone in the future leading
> efforts for new contributors!
[...]

If you mean "junior" contributors who have maybe gotten a small
change merged or fixed a minor bug (but have at least figured out
what team they probably want to spend a lot of their time helping
on) then I agree. To me "new" contributors are the ones who still
need the basics of how to submit a patch, where to find bug reports,
or whatever and those are being catered to at the Forum (via
OpenStack 101, Upstream Institute, project onboarding), not the PTG.
--
Jeremy Stanley