[openstack-dev] [qa] New upgrade test tool proposal.

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 18:37:37 UTC 2017

On 04/05/2017 04:22 PM, Martinez, Castulo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you might know, the TC introduced new tags [1] for upgrade processes
> quite some time ago, which reflect the level of maturity of an upgrade.
> Therefore there is the growing need of test tools which help to exercise
> and validate the upgrade approaches defined by the community.
>
> During the PTG at Atlanta there were discussions around options for
> covering this gap in testing tools, one proposal was to add this
> functionality to Grenade, but this idea was dismissed since it was
> determined that Grenade was originally designed for a different purpose
> and is already pushing its limits, so the consensus was towards
> creating a new tool to fill this gap.
>
> We are proposing a new toolset for testing an OpenStack environment
> before, during, and after an upgrade process. The toolset answers the
> question ³how does OpenStack behave across upgrades from one release N
> to a release N+1, or from the latest official release to master?². It
> also provides information that can be used to assess if an upgrade
> complies with the requirements for being recognized as a rolling
> upgrade, a zero downtime upgrade or a zero impact upgrade.
>
> Before starting this effort, we would like to hear feedback from
> everybody, are there any concerns with this approach? Are we missing
> something?
>
> You can find details of this proposal here:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/449295/3

Hi Castulo, sorry for the delayed response on this. Has your team moved
forward on any of this?

 From first glance at the spec, it does seem that you are biting off a
lot -- deploying, healthchecking, upgrading, monitoring, data/report
storage, and configuration management are all parts of this tool.

What about the Grenade testing framework that uses devstack as its
deployment system was not useful or usable for you?

Best,
-jay