[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Move away from meeting channels

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jun 27 18:22:51 UTC 2017

On 2017-06-26 15:27:21 +0200 (+0200), Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Flavio Percoco wrote:
> > [...]
> > Not being able to easily ping someone during a meeting is kind
> > of a bummer but I'd argue that assuming someone is in the
> > meeting channel and available at all times is a mistake to begin
> > with.
>
> I think people can be pinged by PM or on #openstack-dev, it's just an
> habit to take. It's just that there are cases  where people passively
> mention you, without going up to a formal ping -- I usually go back
> later to that person to answer the issue they informally raised. We'll
> lose that, but it's minor enough.
[...]

By lurking in official meeting channels I'm often able to jump
straight into a discussion when someone asks me a question in a
meeting I wouldn't normally attend but am around during. I can see
the discussion instantly up to that point as opposed to
inconveniencing the attendees by asking to have everything repeated
for me after /join'ing. The channel logs on eavesdrop.o.o aren't
really a substitute there because of the batched flushing in the bot
delays Web-based logs by some number of minutes.
--
Jeremy Stanley