[openstack-dev] realtime kvm cpu affinities

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Tue Jun 27 15:25:14 UTC 2017

On 06/27/2017 01:44 AM, Sahid Orentino Ferdjaoui wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 10:19:12AM +0200, Henning Schild wrote:
>> Am Sun, 25 Jun 2017 10:09:10 +0200
>> schrieb Sahid Orentino Ferdjaoui <sferdjao at redhat.com>:

>>> I'm not agree with you, we have a set of pCPUs and we want to
>>> substract some of them for the emulator threads. We need a mask. The
>>> only set we need is to selection which pCPUs Nova can use
>>> (vcpus_pin_set).
>>
>> At that point it does not really matter whether it is a set or a mask.
>> They can both express the same where a set is easier to read/configure.
>> With the same argument you could say that vcpu_pin_set should be a mask
>> over the hosts pcpus.
>>
>> As i said before: vcpu_pin_set should be renamed because all sorts of
>> threads are put here (pcpu_pin_set?). But that would be a bigger change
>> and should be discussed as a seperate issue.
>>
>> So far we talked about a compute-node for realtime only doing realtime.
>> In that case vcpu_pin_set + emulator_io_mask would work. If you want to
>> run regular VMs on the same host, you can run a second nova, like we do.
>>
>> We could also use vcpu_pin_set + rt_vcpu_pin_set(/mask). I think that
>> would allow modelling all cases in just one nova. Having all in one
>> nova, you could potentially repurpose rt cpus to best-effort and back.
>> Some day in the future ...
>
> That is not something we should allow or at least
> advertise. compute-node can't run both RT and non-RT guests and that
> because the nodes should have a kernel RT. We can't guarantee RT if
> both are on same nodes.

A compute node with an RT OS could run RT and non-RT guests at the same time
just fine.  In a small cloud (think hyperconverged with maybe two nodes total)
it's not viable to dedicate an entire node to just RT loads.

I'd personally rather see nova able to handle a mix of RT and non-RT than need
to run multiple nova instances on the same node and figure out an up-front split
of resources between RT nova and non-RT nova.  Better to allow nova to
dynamically allocate resources as needed.

Chris