[openstack-dev] [docs][all][ptl] Contributor Portal and Better New Contributor On-boarding

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Mon Jun 26 17:51:08 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017, at 10:31 AM, Boris Pavlovic wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I was recently helping one Intern to join OpenStack community and make
> some
> contribution.
>
> And I found that current workflow is extremely complex and I think not
> all
> people that want to contribute can pass it..
>
> Current workflow is:
> - Go to Gerrit sign in
> - Find how to contirubte to Gerrit (fail with this because no ssh key)
> - Find in Gerrit where to upload ssh (because no agreement)
> - Find in Gerrit where to accept License agreement  (fail because your
> agreement is invalid and contact info should be provided in Gerrit)
> - Server can't accept contact infomration (is what you see in gerrit)
> - Go to OpenStack.org sign in (to fix the problem with Gerrit)
> - Update contact information
> - When you try to contribute your first commit (if you already created
> it,
> you won't be able unit you do git commit --ament, so git review will add
> change-id)

Git review should automatically do this last step for you if a change id
is missing.

> Overall it would take 1-2 days for people not familiar with OpenStack.
>

> What about if one make  "Sing-Up" page:
>
> 1) Few steps: provide Username, Contact info, Agreement, SSH key (and it
> will do all work for you set Gerrit, OpenStack,...)
> 2) After one finished form it gets instruction for his OS how to setup
> and
> run properly git review
> 3) Maybe few tutorials (how to find some bug, how to test it and where
> are
> the docs, devstack, ...)
>
> That would simplify onboarding process...

I think that Jeremy (fungi) has work in progress to tie electoral rolls
to foundation membership via an external lookup api that was recently
added to the foundation membership site. This means that we shouldn't
need to check that gerrit account info matches foundation account info
at CLA signing tiem anymore (at least this is my understanding, Jeremy
can correct me if I am wrong).

If this is the case it should make account setup much much simpler. You
just add an ssh key and sign the cla without worrying about account
details lining up.

Clark