[openstack-dev] [Zun] Upgrade from 'docker-py' to 'docker'

Hongbin Lu hongbin.lu at huawei.com
Sat Jun 24 17:40:25 UTC 2017

Hi team,

We have recently finished the upgrade from 'docker-py' to 'docker'. If your devstack environment run into errors due to the incompatibility between the old and new docker python package (such as [1]), you could try the commands below:

  $ sudo pip uninstall docker-py docker-pycreds
  $ sudo pip install -c /opt/stack/requirements/upper-constraints.txt \
      -e /opt/stack/zun
  $ sudo systemctl restart devstack at kuryr*
  $ sudo systemctl restart devstack at zun*

For context, 'docker-py' is the old python-binding library for consuming docker REST API. It has been renamed to 'docker' and the old package will be dropped eventually. At the last a few days, there are several reports of errors due to double installation of both 'docker-py' and 'docker' packages in the development environment, so we need to migrate from 'docker-py' to 'docker' to resolve the issue.

Right now, all Zun's components and dependencies has finished the upgrade [2][3][4], and there is another proposed patch to drop 'docker-py' from global requirements [5]. The package conflict issue will be entirely resolved when the upgrade is finished globally.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/zun/+bug/1693425
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/475526/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/475863/
[4] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/475893/