[openstack-dev] [FEMDC][MassivelyDistributed] Strawman proposal for message bus analysis

Ken Giusti kgiusti at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 20:46:10 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 10:13 AM, Ilya Shakhat <shakhat at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> Please check scenarios and reports that exist in Performance Docs. In
> particular you may be interested in:
>  * O.M.Simulator - https://github.com/openstack/o
> slo.messaging/blob/master/tools/simulator.py
>  * MQ  performance scenario - https://docs.openstack.org/dev
> eloper/performance-docs/test_plans/mq/plan.html#message-queue-performance
>  * One of RabbitMQ reports - https://docs.openstack.org/dev
> eloper/performance-docs/test_results/mq/rabbitmq/cmsm/index.html
>  * MQ HA scenario - https://docs.openstack.org/dev
> eloper/performance-docs/test_plans/mq_ha/plan.html
>  * One of RabbitMQ HA reports - https://docs.openstack.org/dev
> eloper/performance-docs/test_results/mq_ha/rabbitmq-ha-
> queues/cs1ss2-ks2-ha/omsimulator-ha-call-cs1ss2-ks2-ha/index.html

Thank you Ilya - these tests you reference are indeed valuable.

But, IIUC, those tests benchmark queue throughput, using a single (highly
threaded) client->single server traffic flow.   If that is the case, I
think the tests we're trying to define might be a bit more specific to the
FEMDC [0] use cases:  multiple servers consuming from different topics
while many clients distributed across the message bus are connecting,
generating traffic, failing over, etc.

The goal of these tests would be to quantify the behavior of the message
bus as a whole under different messaging loads, failure conditions, etc.

[0] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Fog_Edge_Massively_Distributed_Clouds