[openstack-dev] [nova] bug triage experimentation

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Jun 23 16:52:56 UTC 2017

The Nova bug backlog is just over 800 open bugs, which while
historically not terrible, remains too large to be collectively usable
to figure out where things stand. We've had a few recent issues where we
just happened to discover upgrade bugs filed 4 months ago that needed
fixes and backports.

Historically we've tried to just solve the bug backlog with volunteers.
We've had many a brave person dive into here, and burn out after 4 - 6
months. And we're currently without a bug lead. Having done a big giant
purge in the past
(http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-September/046517.html)
I know how daunting this all can be.

I don't think that people can currently solve the bug triage problem at
the current workload that it creates. We've got to reduce the smart
human part of that workload.

But, I think that we can also learn some lessons from what active github
projects do.

#1 Bot away bad states

There are known bad states of bugs - In Progress with no open patch,
Assigned but not In Progress. We can just bot these away with scripts.
Even better would be to react immediately on bugs like those, that helps
to train folks how to use our workflow. I've got some starter scripts
for this up at - https://github.com/sdague/nova-bug-tools

#2 Use tag based workflow

One lesson from github projects, is the github tracker has no workflow.
Issues are openned or closed. Workflow has to be invented by every team
based on a set of tags. Sometimes that's annoying, but often times it's
super handy, because it allows the tracker to change workflows and not
try to change the meaning of things like "Confirmed vs. Triaged" in your
mind.

We can probably tag for information we know we need at lot easier. I'm
considering something like

* needs.system-version
* needs.openstack-version
* needs.logs
* needs.subteam-feedback
* has.system-version
* has.openstack-version
* has.reproduce

Some of these a bot can process the text on and tell if that info was
provided, and comment how to provide the updated info. Some of this
would be human, but with official tags, it would probably help.

#3 machine assisted functional tagging

I'm playing around with some things that might be useful in mapping new
bugs into existing functional buckets like: libvirt, volumes, etc. We'll
see how useful it ends up being.

#4 reporting on smaller slices

Build some tooling to report on the status and change over time of bugs
under various tags. This will help visualize how we are doing
(hopefully) and where the biggest piles of issues are.

The intent is the normal unit of interaction would be one of these
smaller piles. Be they the 76 libvirt bugs, 61 volumes bugs, or 36
vmware bugs. It would also highlight the rates of change in these piles,
and what's getting attention and what is not.

This is going to be kind of an ongoing experiment, but as we currently
have no one spear heading bug triage, it seemed like a good time to try
this out.

Comments and other suggestions are welcomed. The tooling will have the
nova flow in mind, but I'm trying to make it so it takes a project name
as params on all the scripts, so anyone can use it. It's a little hack
and slash right now to discover what the right patterns are.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net