[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Moving away from "big tent" terminology

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Jun 22 10:11:39 UTC 2017

On 06/21/2017 05:35 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2017-06-21 13:52:11 -0500 (-0500), Lauren Sell wrote:
> [...]
>> To make this actionable...Github is just a mirror of our
>> repositories, but for better or worse it's the way most people in
>> the world explore software. If you look at OpenStack on Github
>> now, it’s impossible to tell which projects are official. Maybe we
>> could help by better curating the Github projects (pinning some of
>> the top projects, using the new new topics feature to put tags
>> like openstack-official or openstack-unofficial, coming up with
>> more standard descriptions or naming, etc.).
>
> I hadn't noticed the pinned repositories option until you mentioned
> it: appears they just extended that feature to orgs back in October
> (and introduced the topics feature in January). I could see
> potentially integrating pinning and topic management into the
> current GH API script we run when creating new mirrors
> there--assuming these are accessible via their API anyway--and yes
> normalizing the descriptions to something less freeform is something
> else we'd discussed to be able to drive users back to the official
> locations for repositories (or perhaps to the project navigator).
>
> I've already made recent attempts to clarify our use of GH in the
> org descriptions and linked the openstack org back to the project
> navigator too, since those were easy enough to do right off the bat.

It doesn't look like either (pinned repos or topics) are currently
available over the API (topics in get format are experimental, but no
edit as of yet). The pinned repositories aren't such a big deal, we're
talking a handful here. The topics / tags maintenance would be more, but
those aren't changing so fast that I think they'd be too unweildly to
keep close.

As I have strong feelings that this all would help, I would be happy to
volunteer to manually update that information. Just need enough access
to do that.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague