[openstack-dev] [trove][all][tc] A proposal to rearchitect Trove

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Jun 22 07:58:40 UTC 2017

Fox, Kevin M wrote:
> [...]
> If you build a Tessmaster clone just to do mariadb, then you share nothing with the other communities and have to reinvent the wheel, yet again. Operators load increases because the tool doesn't function like other tools.
>
> If you rely on a container orchestration engine that's already cross cloud that can be easily deployed by user or cloud operator, and fill in the gaps with what Trove wants to support, easy management of db's, you get to reuse a lot of the commons and the users slight increase in investment in dealing with the bit of extra plumbing in there allows other things to also be easily added to their cluster. Its very rare that a user would need to deploy/manage only a database. The net load on the operator decreases, not increases.

I think the user-side tool could totally deploy on Kubernetes clusters
-- if that was the only possible target that would make it a Kubernetes
tool more than an open infrastructure tool, but that's definitely a
possibility. I'm not sure work is needed there though, there are already
tools (or charts) doing that ?

For a server-side approach where you want to provide a DB-provisioning
API, I fear that making the functionality depend on K8s would make
TroveV2/Hoard would not only depend on Heat and Nova, but also depend on
something that would deploy a Kubernetes cluster (Magnum?), which would
likely hurt its adoption (and reusability in simpler setups). Since
databases would just work perfectly well in VMs, it feels like a
gratuitous dependency addition ?

We generally need to be very careful about creating dependencies between
OpenStack projects. On one side there are base services (like Keystone)
that we said it was alright to depend on, but depending on anything else
is likely to reduce adoption. Magnum adoption suffers from its
dependency on Heat. If Heat starts depending on Zaqar, we make the
problem worse. I understand it's a hard trade-off: you want to reuse
functionality rather than reinvent it in every project... we just need
to recognize the cost of doing that.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)