[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Moving away from "big tent" terminology

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jun 21 17:32:25 UTC 2017

On 2017-06-21 09:20:42 -0700 (-0700), Clark Boylan wrote:
[...]
> A few days ago I suggested a variant of Thierry's suggestion below. Get
> rid of the 'openstack' prefix entirely for hosting and use stackforge
> for everything. Then officially governed OpenStack projects are hosted
> just like any other project within infra under the stackforge (or Opium)
> name. The problem with the current "flat" namespace is that OpenStack
> means something specific and we have overloaded it for hosting. But we
> could flip that upside down and host OpenStack within a different flat
> namespace that represented "project hosting using OpenStack infra
> tooling".
>
> The hosting location isn't meant to convey anything beyond the project
> is hosted on a Gerrit run by infra and tests are run by Zuul.
> stackforge/ is not an (anti)endorsement (and neither is openstack/).
[...]

For a thorough solution, we should probably switch all our
infrastructure to a different domain name too, preferably one which
doesn't mention "openstack" as a substring at all. This would
actually solve a number of other challenges as well, like our
current shared control of the openstack.org domain with the dev team
at the foundation (which presently limits what either the foundation
or the community can do with that domain because we have to take
each others' workflows into account).
--
Jeremy Stanley