[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Turning TC/UC workgroups into OpenStack SIGs

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jun 21 16:02:14 UTC 2017

Shamail Tahir wrote:
> In the past, governance has helped (on the UC WG side) to reduce
> overlaps/duplication in WGs chartered for similar objectives. I would
> like to understand how we will handle this (if at all) with the new SIG
> proposa?

I tend to think that any overlap/duplication would get solved naturally,
without having to force everyone through an application process that may
discourage natural emergence of such groups. I feel like an application
process would be premature optimization. We can always encourage groups
to merge (or clean them up) after the fact. How much
overlaps/duplicative groups did you end up having ?

> Also, do we have to replace WGs as a concept or could SIG
> augment them? One suggestion I have would be to keep projects on the TC
> side and WGs on the UC side and then allow for spin-up/spin-down of SIGs
> as needed for accomplishing specific goals/tasks (picture of a  diagram
> I created at the Forum[1]).

I feel like most groups should be inclusive of all community, so I'd
rather see the SIGs being the default, and ops-specific or dev-specific
groups the exception. To come back to my Public Cloud WG example, you
need to have devs and ops in the same group in the first place before
you would spin-up a "address scalability" SIG. Why not just have a
Public Cloud SIG in the first place?

> [...]
> Finally, how will this change impact the ATC/AUC status of the SIG
> members for voting rights in the TC/UC elections?

There are various options. Currently you give UC WG leads the AUC
status. We could give any SIG lead both statuses. Or only give the AUC
status to a subset of SIGs that the UC deems appropriate. It's really an
implementation detail imho. (Also I would expect any SIG lead to already
be both AUC and ATC somehow anyway, so that may be a non-issue).

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)