[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Turning TC/UC workgroups into OpenStack SIGs

Shamail Tahir itzshamail at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 15:44:00 UTC 2017

Hi,

In the past, governance has helped (on the UC WG side) to reduce
overlaps/duplication in WGs chartered for similar objectives. I would like
to understand how we will handle this (if at all) with the new SIG proposa?
Also, do we have to replace WGs as a concept or could SIG augment them? One
suggestion I have would be to keep projects on the TC side and WGs on the
UC side and then allow for spin-up/spin-down of SIGs as needed for
accomplishing specific goals/tasks (picture of a  diagram I created at the
Forum[1]).

The WGs could focus on defining key objectives for users of a shared group
(market vertical like Enterprise or Scientific WG, horizontal function like
PWG) and then SIGs could be created based on this list to accomplish the
objective and spin-down. Similarly a project team could determine a need to
gather additional data/requirements or need help with a certain task could
also spin-up a SIG to accomplish it (e.g. updating an outdated docs set,
discussion on a specific spec that needs to be more thoroughly crafted,
etc.)

Finally, how will this change impact the ATC/AUC status of the SIG members
for voting rights in the TC/UC elections?

[1] https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_yCSDGnhIbzS3V1b1lpZGpIaHBmc29S
aUdiYzJtX21BWkl3/

Thanks,
Shamail