[openstack-dev] [nova][placement] Add API Sample tests for Placement APIs

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 14:51:34 UTC 2017

On 6/21/2017 7:04 AM, Shewale, Bhagyashri wrote:
> I  would like to write functional tests to check the exact req/resp for
> each placement API for all supported versions similar
>
> to what is already done for other APIs under
> nova/tests/functional/api_sample_tests/api_samples/*.
>
> These request/response json samples can be used by the api.openstack.org
> and in the manuals.
>
> There are already functional tests written for placement APIs under
> nova/tests/functional/api/openstack/placement,
>
> but these tests doesn’t check the entire HTTP response for each API for
> all supported versions.
>
> I think adding such functional tests for checking response for each
> placement API would be beneficial to the project.
>
> If there is an interest to create such functional tests, I can file a
> new blueprint for this activity.

This has come up before and we don't want to use the same functional API
samples infrastructure for generating API samples for the placement API.
The functional API samples tests are confusing and a steep learning
curve for new contributors (and even long time old tooth contributors
still get confused by them).

Talk with Chris Dent about ideas here for API samples with placement.
He's talked about building something into the gabbi library for this,
but I don't know if that's being worked on or not.

Chris is also on vacation for a couple of weeks, just FYI.

Matt