[openstack-dev] [trove][all][tc] A proposal to rearchitect Trove

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 14:08:54 UTC 2017

On 06/20/2017 09:42 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Does "service VM" need to be a first-class thing?  Akanda creates
> them, using a service user. The VMs are tied to a "router" which
> is the billable resource that the user understands and interacts with
> through the API.

Frankly, I believe all of these types of services should be built as
applications that run on OpenStack (or other) infrastructure. In other
words, they should not be part of the infrastructure itself.

There's really no need for a user of a DBaaS to have access to the host
or hosts the DB is running on. If the user really wanted that, they
would just spin up a VM/baremetal server and install the thing themselves.

Best,
-jay