[openstack-dev] [nova] How to handle nova show --minimal with embedded flavors

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 13:59:48 UTC 2017

Microversion 2.47 embeds the instance.flavor in the server response
body. Chris Friesen is adding support for this microversion to
novaclient [1] and a question has come up over how to deal with the
--minimal option which before this microversion would just show the
flavor id. When --minimal is not specified today, the flavor name and id
are shown.

In Chris' change, he's showing the full flavor information regardless of
the --minimal option.

The help for the --minimal option is different between show/rebuild
commands and list.

show/rebuild: "Skips flavor/image lookups when showing servers."

list: "Get only UUID and name."

Personally I think that if I specify --minimal I want minimal output,
which would just be the flavor's original name after the new
microversion, which is closer in behavior to how --minimal works today
before the 2.47 microversion.

I'm posting this in the mailing list for wider discussion/input.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/435141/

Matt