[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Moving away from "big tent" terminology

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Mon Jun 19 15:59:04 UTC 2017

On 06/16/2017 02:57 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 15 2017, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>
>> One of the *most* common complaints the TC gets from outside the
>> contributor community is that people do not understand what projects
>> are part of OpenStack and what parts are not. We have a clear
>> definition of that in our minds (the projects that have said they
>> want to be part of OpenStack, and agreed to put themselves under
>> TC governance, with all of the policies that implies). That definition
>> is so trivial to say, that it seems like a tautology.  However,
>> looking in from the outside of the community, that definition isn't
>> helpful.
>
> I still wonder why they care. Who care, really? Can we have some people
> that care on this thread so they explain directly what we're trying to
> solve here?
>
> Everything is just a bunch of free software projects to me. The
> governance made zero difference in my contributions or direction of the
> projects I PTL'ed.

When I was first starting out, I didn't care at all about governance.  I wanted
to know "What do the various components *do*, and which of them do I need to
install to get a practical and useful OpenStack installation?".

A bit later on, I started thinking about "Which of these components are mature
enough to be usable, and likely to be around for long enough to make it
worthwhile to use them?"

A bit further down the road the issue became "I have this specific thing I want
to accomplish, are there any projects out there that are working on it?"

I suspect I'm not the only one that went through this process, and I don't feel
like there's a lot of information out there aimed at answering this sort of
question without spending a lot of time digging into individual service
documentation.

Chris