[openstack-dev] [tc][fuel] Making Fuel a hosted project

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 14:28:31 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:
> Regarding all the company efforts to invest in one deployment tool,
> it's going to be super hard to find The OneTrue and convince everyone
> else to work on it.

The idea is not that everyone works on it, it is simply that OpenStack
_does_ have one single known tested common way to do things, ie
fulfill the role that many people think DevStack should have been when
not used for dev/testing. I make this point not to suggest that this
is the way forward, but as the starting point from which we hear a LOT
of requests and questions.

> Future will tell us but it's possible that deployments tools will be
> reduced to 2 or 3 projects if it continues that way (Fuel is slowly
> dying, Puppet OpenStack has less and less contributors, same for Chef
> afik, etc).

This is the market effects that ttx talks about, and is the setting
for another example of where we should be careful with documentation
and 'officialness' around projects that disappear, lest we repeat the
experiences with PostgreSQL and have deployers make choices based on
our docs that do not reflect reality.

dt

--

Dean Troyer