[openstack-dev] [Keystone][Mistral][Devstack] Confusion between auth_url and auth_uri in keystone middleware

Brant Knudson blk at acm.org
Thu Jun 15 17:57:21 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 5:14 AM, Mikhail Fedosin <mfedosin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Recently I decided to remove deprecated parameters from keystone_authtoken
> mistral config and replace them with recommended function of devstack [1].
> In doing so, I discovered a strange behavior of configuration mechanism,
> and specifically parameters auth_uri and auth_url.
>
> 1. The parameter auth_url is not included in the list of the middleware
> parameters, there is auth_uri only [2]. Nevertheless, it must be present,
> because it's required by identity plugin [3]. Attempts to remove or replace
> it with the recommended auth_uri result with these stacktraces [4]
>
> 2. Even if auth_url is set, it can't be used later, because it is not
> registered in oslo_config [5]
>
> So I would like to get an advise from keystone team and understand what I
> should do in such cases. Official documentation doesn't add clarity on the
> matter because it recommends to use auth_uri in some cases and auth_url in
> others.

While to a human auth_uri and auth_url might look very similar they're
treated completely differently by auth_token / keystoneauth. One doesn't
replace the other in any way. So it shouldn't be surprising that
documentation would say to use auth_uri for one thing and auth_url for
something else.

 - Brant