[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Moving away from "big tent" terminology

Davanum Srinivas davanum at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 15:28:23 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 11:17 AM, gordon chung <gord at live.ca> wrote:

>> Well, we tried that for 2.5 years now, and people are still confused
>> about which projects are an Openstack project and what are not. The
>> confusion led to the perception that everything under openstack/ is an
>> openstack project. It led to the perception that "big tent" means
>> "anything goes in" or "flea market".
>
> regardless of terminology, i'm not entirely certain what everyone's
> definition of an openstack project and <whatever label you want to call
> it> project is. additionally, what the purpose of this categorization is?

The purpose (my 2 cents) is to highlight what projects are under
governance and those that are not.

Maybe we should call those not under governance as "community"
projects, aggregate these under say community.openstack.org also run a
second gerrit instance (community-git.openstack.org ?) so the
separation is clear and distinct.

Thanks,
Dims