[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Moving away from "big tent" terminology

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jun 15 14:09:59 UTC 2017

On 2017-06-15 14:57:20 +0200 (+0200), Thierry Carrez wrote:
[...]
> An alternative would be to give "the OpenStack project infrastructure"
> some kind of a brand name (say, "Opium", for OpenStack project
> infrastructure ultimate madness) and then call the hosted projects
> "Opium projects". Rename the Infra team to Opium team, and voilĂ !

Not to be cynical, but it sounds like a return to StackForge under a
different name.

The thing I like about _not_ having a name for that is it's not an
either/or situation. There are OpenStack projects under official
governance, and everything else in existence (some of which we might
host, other stuff is elsewhere on the Internet at large). Keeping
the discussion focused on OpenStack is key for me. I am not
personally keen on the idea of branding the Infrastructure team's
work as an unrelated hosting service and feel like we only recently
managed to get away from that paradigm when we ditched the
StackForge branding as a euphemism for projects that weren't under
OpenStack governance.
--
Jeremy Stanley