[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Moving away from "big tent" terminology

Melvin Hillsman mrhillsman at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 13:51:23 UTC 2017

Just my .02,

I agree with those who have said distinction is still difficult with
initial thoughts and possibly fleshing out more clearly how that would be
handled - opium branding, questions/criteria proposed by Chris, etc. - can
address the identified potential confusion. I like the idea of branding the
infra team - wonder what they think of that. As others have stated I do not
have any good suggestions just throwing in an extra +1 where appropriate :)

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 7:57 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>
wrote:

> Sean Dague wrote:
> > [...]
> > I think those are all fine. The other term that popped into my head was
> > "Friends of OpenStack" as a way to describe the openstack-hosted efforts
> > that aren't official projects. It may be too informal, but I do think
> > the OpenStack-Hosted vs. OpenStack might still mix up in people's head.
>
> My original thinking was to call them "hosted projects" or "host
> projects", but then it felt a bit incomplete. I kinda like the "Friends
> of OpenStack" name, although it seems to imply some kind of vetting that
> we don't actually do.
>
> An alternative would be to give "the OpenStack project infrastructure"
> some kind of a brand name (say, "Opium", for OpenStack project
> infrastructure ultimate madness) and then call the hosted projects
> "Opium projects". Rename the Infra team to Opium team, and voilĂ !
>
> --
> Thierry Carrez (ttx)

Kind regards,

Melvin Hillsman
mrhillsman at gmail.com
mobile: (832) 264-2646

Learner | Ideation | Belief | Responsibility | Command