[openstack-dev] [all][tc][glance] Glance needs help, it's getting critical

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Tue Jun 13 14:50:53 UTC 2017

On 13/06/17 10:49 +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>Quick attempt at a summary of the discussion so far, with my questions:
>
>* Short-term, Glance needs help to stay afloat
>  - Sean volunteered to help
>  - but glance needs to add core reviewers to get stuff flowing
>-> could the VM/BM workgroup also help ? Any progress there ?

+1

Given the current situation, I think we'll get any help we can. I'd be happy to
add Sean and a couple of other volunteers to the core team until the end of the
cycle. When Pike is out, we can do a status check and see how to proceed.

>* Long-term, is Glance still our best bet for the future ?
>  - The code base is way more complicated than it should be
>  - Difficult to work on necessary refactoring with current resources
>  - Glare is a sane base, but achieves more than just image catalog
>  - Disk images may be special enough to require their own service
>-> Elaborate on "optimizing for their specialness is really important"

I'd like to start working on a more formal proposal for this. The email threas
have covered some interesting points and there have been a good number of
sessions at various summits about this same argument.

There could be another session in Denver but I'd like to see a more formal
document, etherpad, whatever, that explains the different features that would
make the migration worth it and a set of different paths we could explore to
make this migration happen. With this info, I think we will be able to make a
thoughtful decision.

Flavio

--
@flaper87