[openstack-dev] [murano] [barbican] Re: Need your opinion on another issue...

Paul Bourke paul.bourke at oracle.com
Tue Jun 13 13:06:49 UTC 2017

Hi Stan,

Thanks for your input on this.

I'm finding the problem with doing the encryption/decryption on the
engine side only is that at this point it is too late - the object model
has already been written into the database at the API layer. I can't
think how we can change this without moving the data persist logic into
the engine which would be quite a large change.

If we encrypt just user specified properties on session create, this may
still work as you outline, but this leads to the problem of how to
signal to the API which property values are to be encrypted, as metadata
and contracts are again only parsed once the object model reaches the
engine.

The only other things I can think to improve this would be to either use
some form of caching such as memcached, or drop barbican and do some
form of local crypto that avoids the round trip time to barbican.
Neither seem ideal.

If you have any other ideas on this or if some of the assumptions I've
made above wrt the engine are incorrect I'd appreciate your thoughts.
The current approach where we encrypt the entire object model is
available as a work in progress at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/471772/.

Thanks again,
-Paul