[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Role updates

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Mon Jun 12 22:00:55 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 2:55 AM, Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 06/09/2017 05:24 PM, Alex Schultz wrote:
>>
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> I wanted to bring to your attention that we've merged the change[0] to
>> add a basic set of roles that can be combined to create your own
>> roles_data.yaml as needed.  With this change the roles_data.yaml and
>> roles_data_undercloud.yaml files in THT should not be changed by hand.
>> Instead if you have an update to a role, please update the appropriate
>> roles/*.yaml file. I have proposed a change[1] to THT with additional
>> tools to validate that the roles/*.yaml files are updated and that
>> there are no unaccounted for roles_data.yaml changes.  Additionally
>> this change adds in a new tox target to assist in the generate of
>> these basic roles data files that we provide.
>>
>> Ideally I would like to get rid of the roles_data.yaml and
>> roles_data_undercloud.yaml so that the end user doesn't have to
>> generate this file at all but that won't happen this cycle.  In the
>> mean time, additional documentation around how to work with roles has
>> been added to the roles README[2].
>

> Hi, this is awesome! Do we expect more example roles to be added? E.g. I
> could add a role for a reference Ironic Conductor node.

Yes. My expectation is that as we come up with new roles for supported
deployment types that we add them to the THT/roles directory so end
user can also use them.  The base set came from some work we did
during the Ocata cycle to have 3 base sets of architectures.

3 controller, 3 compute, 1 ceph (ha)
1 controller, 1 compute, 1 ceph (nonha)
3 controller, 3 database, 3 messaging, 2 networker, 1 compute, 1 ceph (advanced)

Feel free to propose additional roles if you have architectures you'd
like to have be reusable.

Thanks,
-Alex