[openstack-dev] [all][tc][glance] Glance needs help, it's getting critical

Mikhail Fedosin mfedosin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 20:20:08 UTC 2017

Well... My suggestion is to keep Glance maintained and begin experimental
adoption of Glare. So this is not an immediate replacement, but the
evolution of the Image service.
My opinion is that Glance stagnates and it's really hard to implement new
features there. In two years, only one major improvement was developed
(Image Import Refactoring), and no one has tested it in production yet. And
this is in the heyday of the community, as you said!

On the other hand OpenStack users have been requesting for new features for
a long time: I'm talking about mutistore support, versioning of images,
image slicing (like in docker), validation and conversion of uploading data
and so on. And I can say that it is impossible to implement them without
breaking Glance. But all this stuff is already done in Glare (multistore
support is implemented partially, because modifications of glance_store are
required). And if we switch OpenStack to Glare users will get these
features out of the box.

Then, Glance works with images only, but Glare supports various types of
data, like heat and tosca templates. Next week we will add Secrets artifact
type to store private data, and Mistral workflows. I mean - we'll have
unified catalog of all cloud data with the possibility to combine them in
metastructures, when artifact of one type depends on the other.

I will repeat it once again, in order to be understood as much as possible.
It takes too much time to develop new features and fix old bugs (years to
be exact). If we continue in the same spirit, it certainly will not
increase the joy of OpenStack users and they will look for other solutions
that meet their desires.

Best,
Mike