[openstack-dev] [all][tc][glance] Glance needs help, it's getting critical

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Mon Jun 12 19:50:43 UTC 2017

On 12/06/17 15:37 -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
>On 06/12/2017 03:20 PM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
><snip>
>> Could you please elaborate more on why you think switching code bases is
>> going
>> to solve the current problem? In your email you talked about Glance's
>> over-engineered code as being the thing driving people away and while I
>> disagree
>> with that statement, I'm wondering whether you really think that's the
>> motivation or there's something else.
>>
>> Let's not talk about proxy API's or ways we would migrate users. I'd
>> like to
>> understand why *you* (or others) might think that a complete change of
>> projects
>> is a good solution to this problem.
>>
>> Ultimatedly, I believe Glance, in addition to not being the "sexiest"
>> project in
>> OpenStack, is taking the hit of the recent lay-offs, which it kinda
>> managed to
>> avoid last year.
>
>As someone from the outside the glance team, I'd really like to avoid
>the artifacts path. I feel like 2 years ago there was a promise that if
>glance headed in that direction it would bring in new people, and
>everything would be great. But, it didn't bring in folks solving the
>class of issues that current glance users are having. 80+ GB disk images
>could be classified as a special case of Artifacts, but it turns
>optimizing for their specialness is really important to a well
>functioning cloud.
>
>Glance might not be the most exciting project, but what seems to be
>asked for is help on the existing stuff. I'd rather focus there.

Just want to make clear that I'm *not* proposing going down any artifacts path.
I actually disagree with this idea but I do want to understand why other folks
think this is going to solve the issue. There might be some insights there that
we can learn from and use to improve Glance (or not).

Glance can be very exciting if one focuses on the interesting bits and it's an
*AWESOME* place where new comers can start contributing, new developers can
learn and practice, etc. That said, I believe that code doesn't have to be
challenging to be exciting. There's also excitment in the simple but interesting
things.

Flavio

--
@flaper87