[openstack-dev] [qa][requirements][all] removing global pins for linters

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Jun 12 11:09:12 UTC 2017

On 06/11/2017 11:30 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> The recent thread about updating the pylint version in
> global-requirements.txt raised an issue because it was trying to
> update the pylint version for all projects using it, but some teams
> were not ready for the new tests in the latest version. I thought
> we had dealt with that kind of case in the past by treating linter
> projects like pylint and flake8 as special cases, and leaving them
> out of the global requirements list. The requirements repo has a
> separate file (blacklist.txt) for projects that should not be synced
> into repositories and tested against the global-requirements.txt
> list, and pylint is included there along with several other linter
> tools.
>
> I'm not sure why the linters were also being added to
> global-requirements.txt, but it seems like a mistake. I have proposed
> a patch [2] to remove them, which should allow projects that want
> to update pylint to do so while not forcing everyone to update at
> the same time. If we find issues with the requirements sync after
> removing the entries from the global list, we should fix the syncing
> scripts so we can keep the linters blacklisted.
>
> Doug
>
> [1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-June/118085.html
> [2] https://review.openstack.org/473094

Are you sure that works as expected? My understanding is that the
requirements enforcement jobs only let you set requirements lines to
what are in that file. So that effectively prevents anyone from changing
the linters lines ever (see
http://logs.openstack.org/69/473369/1/check/gate-nova-requirements/b425844/console.html)

	-Sean

--