[openstack-dev] [tc] Status update, Jun 12

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Jun 12 09:25:48 UTC 2017

Hi!

A bit late due to travel, here is an update on the status of a number of
TC-proposed governance changes, in an attempt to rely less on a weekly
meeting to convey that information.

You can find the full status list of open topics at:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/TechnicalCommittee

== Recently-approved changes ==

* Introducing TC office hours [1] [2] [3]
* Add etherpad link w/ detailed steps to split-tempest-plugins goal [4]
* New git repositories: keystone-tempest-plugins
* Pike goal responses for Telemetry, Shade, Swift

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/467256/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/467386/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/468523/
[4] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/468972/

As a result of the "TC office hours" change merging, members of the TC
will make a best-effort attempt to attend the #openstack-tc channel for
office hours and discussions on the following times of the week:
09:00-10:00 UTC on Tuesdays, 01:00-02:00 UTC on Wednesdays, and
15:00-16:00 UTC on Thursdays.

== Open discussions ==

The situation on documenting the state of MySQL / postgresql has been
unblocked using an ad-hoc IRC meeting[5], which resulted in Dirk Mueller
producing a new revision of sdague's initial proposal, ready for more
reviews:

* Declare plainly the current state of MySQL in OpenStack [5]

[5] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/427880/

John Garbutt revised his resolution on ensuring that decisions are
globally inclusive, which is now up for review:

* Decisions should be globally inclusive [6]

[6] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/460946/

The discussion on Queens goals is making progress. The Gerrit review
ends up being a good medium to refine a proposal into something
acceptable and valid, but not so great to make the final selection of
Queens goals (choosing a limited set between a number of valid
proposals). As mentioned by cdent, we should wait a bit for the
discussion about other goals to make progress before using RollCall
votes, and use CodeReview votes to refine the proposals as needed:

* Discovery alignment, with two options: [7] [8]
* Policy and docs in code [9]
* Migrate off paste [10]
* Continuing Python 3.5+ Support​ [11]

[7] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/468436/
[8] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/468437/
[9] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/469954/
[10] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-May/117747.html
[11] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-May/117746.html

== Voting in progress ==

The Top 5 help wanted list (and the "doc owners" initial item) have a
new revision up to catch latest comments. Should be ready for voting now:

* Introduce Top 5 help wanted list [12]
* Add "Doc owners" to top-5 wanted list [13]

[12] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/466684/
[13] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/469115/

Doug's guidelines for managing releases of binary artifacts seem to be
ready for approval:

* Guidelines for managing releases of binary artifacts [14]

[14] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/469265/

Finally we have a follow-up patch on the office hours that further
refines what's expected of TC members:

* Follow-up precisions on office hours [15]

[15] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/470926/

== Tag assertion reviews ==

A number of teams want to assert specific tags. Those will be approved
after a week, unless someone objects:

* assert:supports-rolling-upgrade for keystone [16]
* assert:supports-upgrade to Barbican [17]

[16] https://review.openstack.org/471427
[17] https://review.openstack.org/472547

Additionally, the Kolla team has been applying for stable:follows-policy
for a while[18], but they are still waiting for a review by the Stable
maintenance team.

[18] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/346455/

== TC member actions for the coming week(s) ==

johnthetubaguy, cdent, dtroyer to continue distill TC vision feedback
into actionable points (and split between cosmetic and significant
changes) [https://review.openstack.org/453262]

johnthetubaguy to finalize updating "Describe what upstream support
means" with a new revision [https://review.openstack.org/440601]

flaper87 to update "Drop Technical Committee meetings" with a new
revision [https://review.openstack.org/459848]

ttx to communicate results of the 2017 contributor attrition stats
analysis he did

Additionally, we are still looking for a volunteer TC member
sponsor/mentor to helm the Gluon team navigate the OpenStack seas as
they engage to become an official project. Any volunteer ?

== Need for a TC meeting next Tuesday ==

I don't think anything has come up this week that would require a
specific IRC meeting to solve, so we won't be holding a meeting this week.

Thanks everyone!

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)