[openstack-dev] [forum] Future of Stackalytics

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Sun Jun 11 19:09:00 UTC 2017

On 06/11/2017 03:17 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 6/8/2017 12:57 AM, Adam Harwell wrote:
>> As a core reviewer for LBaaS I actually find Stackalytics quite helpful for
>> giving me a quick snapshot of contributions, and it lines up almost perfectly
>> in my experience with what I see when I'm actually reviewing and working with
>> people (if you know which statistics to look at -- just sorting by sheer
>> number of reviews or commits and ignoring everything else is of course not
>> useful, and as you say possibly misleading). In all though I actually find
>> that it is a very accurate representation of people's work.
>>
>> For example, in looking at reviewer contributions, I make a mental score based
>> on both the number of reviews, but also the +% (this shouldn't be too high)
>> and the disagreement score (low is generally good, but 0% with a high review
>> count might be questionable). So, I know to discount someone who just spams +1
>> at everything that has a +2 already and doesn't contribute anything else,
>> which can go unnoticed while reading reviews but sticks out like a sore thumb
>> in Stackalytics. The other side of the coin is someone who posts a ton of
>> useless comments and -1's everything, which then is super obvious to anyone
>> who actually reads reviews.
>>
>> Maybe the experience with the projects I work on is a little different than
>> some of the more populous "base" services like Nova or Neutron? Regardless,
>> I'd be really sad to see it go, as I use it multiple times a week for various
>> reasons. So, I definitely agree with keeping it around and possibly focusing
>> on improving the way the data is displayed. It is definitely best used as one
>> tool in a toolkit, not taken alone as a single source of truth. Is that the
>> main problem people are trying to solve?
>>

> I agree with you, and the experience in Nova is the same. I use Stackalytics the
> same way.
>
> Note, however, that reviewstats is also published from a site that russellb has
> running, e.g.:
>
> http://russellbryant.net/openstack-stats/nova-reviewers-30.txt

I sometimes use Stackalytics to get a list of person's latest reviews (e.g. [1])
or limit to to a certain project (e.g. [2]). There is something called
"Person-day effort" (e.g. [3]), which looks also interesting, but I haven't
looked into it.

[1] http://stackalytics.com/?user_id=divius
[2] http://stackalytics.com/?user_id=divius&module=ironic-group
[3] http://stackalytics.com/?user_id=divius&module=ironic-group&metric=person-day