[openstack-dev] [deployment] [oslo] [ansible] [tripleo] [kolla] [helm] Configuration management with etcd / confd

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Jun 9 17:40:13 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Flavio Percoco's message of 2017-06-09 16:52:25 +0000:
> On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 11:30 AM Britt Houser (bhouser) <bhouser at cisco.com>
> wrote:
>
> > How does confd run inside the container?  Does this mean we’d need some
> > kind of systemd in every container which would spawn both confd and the
> > real service?  That seems like a very large architectural change.  But
> > maybe I’m misunderstanding it.
> >

> Copying part of my reply to Doug's email:
>
> 1. Run confd + openstack service in side the container. My concern in this
> case
> would be that we'd have to run 2 services inside the container and structure
> things in a way we can monitor both services and make sure they are both
> running. Nothing impossible but one more thing to do.
>
> 2. Run confd `-onetime` and then run the openstack service.
>

> I either case, we could run confd as part of the entrypoint and have it run
> in
> background for the case #1 or just run it sequentially for case #2.

I think all of this is moot unless we can solve the case where we don't
know in advance of the deployment what settings to tell confd to look at
(what I've been calling the "cinder case", since that's where I saw it
come up first).

Doug