[openstack-dev] [deployment] [oslo] [ansible] [tripleo] [kolla] [helm] Configuration management with etcd / confd

Britt Houser (bhouser) bhouser at cisco.com
Fri Jun 9 16:27:20 UTC 2017

How does confd run inside the container?  Does this mean we’d need some kind of systemd in every container which would spawn both confd and the real service?  That seems like a very large architectural change.  But maybe I’m misunderstanding it.

Thx,
britt

On 6/9/17, 9:04 AM, "Doug Hellmann" <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:

    Excerpts from Flavio Percoco's message of 2017-06-08 22:28:05 +0000:

    > Unless I'm missing something, to use confd with an OpenStack deployment on
    > k8s, we'll have to do something like this:
    >
    > * Deploy confd in every node where we may want to run a pod (basically
    > wvery node)

    Oh, no, no. That's not how it works at all.

    confd runs *inside* the containers. It's input files and command line
    arguments tell it how to watch for the settings to be used just for that
    one container instance. It does all of its work (reading templates,
    watching settings, HUPing services, etc.) from inside the container.

    The only inputs confd needs from outside of the container are the
    connection information to get to etcd. Everything else can be put
    in the system package for the application.

    Doug