[openstack-dev] how to set default security group rules?

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Fri Jun 9 13:03:05 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jun 09, 2017 at 05:20:03AM -0700, Kevin Benton wrote:
> This was an intentional decision. One of the goals of OpenStack is to
> provide consistency across different clouds and configurable defaults for
> new tenants default rules hurts consistency.
>
> If I write a script to boot up a workload on one OpenStack cloud that
> allows everything by default and it doesn't work on another cloud that
> doesn't allow everything by default, that leads to a pretty bad user
> experience. I would now need logic to scan all of the existing security
> group rules and do a diff between what I want and what is there and have
> logic to resolve the difference.

FWIW: While that argument is valid, the reality is every cloud provider runs a
different version of operating system you boot up your workload on, so it is
pretty much assume that every cloud is different out of box.

What we do now in openstack-infra, is place expected cloud configuration[2] in
ansible-role-cloud-launcher[1], and run ansible against the cloud. This has been
one of the ways we ensure consistency between clouds. Bonus point, we build and
upload images daily to ensure our workloads are also the same.

[1] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/ansible-role-cloud-launcher
[2] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/system-config/tree/playbooks/clouds_layouts.yml