[openstack-dev] [deployment] [oslo] [ansible] [tripleo] [kolla] [helm] Configuration management with etcd / confd

Michał Jastrzębski inc007 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 16:50:39 UTC 2017

On 8 June 2017 at 09:27, Flavio Percoco <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 08/06/17 18:23 +0200, Flavio Percoco wrote:

>>> It doesn't look a strict requirement. Those configs may (and should) be
>>> bind-mounted into containers, as hostpath volumes. Or, am I missing
>>> something what *does* make embedded configs a strict requirement?..
>>

>> mmh, one thing I liked about this effort was possibility of stop
>> bind-mounting
>> config files into the containers. I'd rather find a way to not need any
>> bindmount and have the services get their configs themselves.
>

> Probably sent too early!
>
> If we're not talking about OpenStack containers running in a COE, I guess
> this
> is fine. For k8s based deployments, I think I'd prefer having installers
> creating configmaps directly and use that. The reason is that depending on
> files
> that are in the host is not ideal for these scenarios. I hate this idea
> because
> it makes deployments inconsistent and I don't want that.

Well, I disagree. If we're doing this we're essentially getting rid of
"files" at all. It might actually be easier to handle from COE than
configmap, as configmap has to be generated and when you get to host
specific things it's quite a pain to handle. I, for one, would happily
use cantral DB for config options if we define schema correctly.

That being said defining schema correctly is quite a challenge. Few
hard cases I see right now can be found in single use case - PCI
Passthrough

1. I have multiple PCI devices in host, I need to specify list of them
2. PCI buses differes host to host, I need to specify groups of hosts
that will share same bus configuration and reflect that in service
config

Maybe we should gather few of hard use cases like that and make sure
we can address them in our config schema?