[openstack-dev] [tripleo][ironic] Hardware provisioning testing for Ocata

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Thu Jun 8 15:10:50 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 2:21 PM, Justin Kilpatrick <jkilpatr at redhat.com> wrote:
> Morning everyone,
>
> I've been working on a performance testing tool for TripleO hardware
> provisioning operations off and on for about a year now and I've been
> using it to try and collect more detailed data about how TripleO
> performs in scale and production use cases. Perhaps more importantly
> YODA (Yet Openstack Deployment Tool, Another) automates the task
> enough that days of deployment testing is a set it and forget it
> operation.
>
> You can find my testing tool here [0] and the test report [1] has
> links to raw data and visualization. Just scroll down, click the
> capcha and click "go to kibana". I  still need to port that machine
> from my own solution over to search guard.
>
> If you have too much email to consider clicking links I'll copy the
> results summary here.
>
> TripleO inspection workflows have seen massive improvements from
> Newton with a failure rate for 50 nodes with the default workflow
> falling from 100% to <15%. Using patches slated for Pike that spurious
> failure rate reaches zero.
>
> Overcloud deployments show a significant improvement of deployment
> speed in HA and stack update tests.
>
> Ironic deployments in the overcloud allow the use of Ironic for bare
> metal scale out alongside more traditional VM compute. Considering a
> single conductor starts to struggle around 300 nodes it will be
> difficult to push a multi conductor setup to it's limits.
>
> Finally Ironic node cleaning, shows a similar failure rate to
> inspection and will require similar attention in TripleO workflows to
> become painless.

> [1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/194ww0Pi2J-dRG3-X75mphzwUZVPC2S1Gsy1V0K0PqBo/
>
> Thanks for your time!

Hey Justin,

All of this is really cool. I was wondering if you had a list of bugs
that you've faced or reported yourself regarding to performances
issues in TripleO.
As you might have seen in a separate thread on openstack-dev, we're
planning a sprint on June 21/22th to improve performances in TripleO.
We would love your participation or someone from your team and if you
have time before, please add the deployment-time tag to the Launchpad
bugs that you know related to performances.

Thanks a lot,

> - Justin

Emilien Macchi