[openstack-dev] [tripleo] [ci] Adding idempotency job on overcloud deployment.

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Wed Jun 7 14:48:12 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 5:20 AM, Sofer Athlan-Guyot <sathlang at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 12:45 PM, Sofer Athlan-Guyot <sathlang at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I don't think we have such a job in place.  Basically that would check
>>> that re-running the "openstack deploy ..." command won't do anything.
>>>
>>> We had such an error by the past[1], but I'm not sure this has been
>>> captured by an associated job.
>>>
>>> WDYT ?
>>
>> It would be interesting to measure how much time does it take to run
>> it again.
>
> Could you point out how such an experiment could be done ?
>
>> If it's short, we could add it to all our scenarios + ovb
>> jobs.  If it's long, maybe we need an additional job, but it would
>> take more resources, so maybe we could run it in periodic pipeline
>> (note that periodic jobs are not optimal since we could break
>> something quite easily).
>
> Just adding as context that the issue was already raised[1].  Beside
> time constraint, it was pointed out that we would also need to parse the
> log to find out if anything was restarted.  But it could be a second
> step.  For parsing, this code was pointed out[2].

There's a few things that would need to be enabled in order to reuse
some of this work.  We'll need to add the ability to generate a report
on the puppet run[0]. And then we'll need to be able to capture it[1]
somewhere that we could then use that parsing code on.  From there,
just rerunning the installation would be a simple start to the
idempotency check.  In fuel, we had hacked in a special flag[2] that
we used in testing to actually rerun the task immediately to find when
a specific task was not idempotent in addition to also rerunning the
entire deployment. For tripleo a similar concept would be to rerun the
steps twice but that's usually not where the issues crop us for us. So
rerunning the entire installation deployment would be better as we
tend to have issues with configuration items between steps
conflicting.

Thanks,
-Alex

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/273740/4/mcagents/puppetd.rb@204