[openstack-dev] [requirements][mistral][tripleo][horizon][nova][releases] release models for projects tracked in global-requirements.txt

Matthew Thode prometheanfire at gentoo.org
Tue Jun 6 15:05:37 UTC 2017

On 06/06/2017 03:21 AM, Dougal Matthews wrote:

> On 31 May 2017 at 09:35, Renat Akhmerov <renat.akhmerov at gmail.com
> <mailto:renat.akhmerov at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 31 May 2017, 15:08 +0700, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org
>     <mailto:thierry at openstack.org>>, wrote:
>>
>>>     This has hit us with the mistral and tripleo projects particularly
>>>     (tagged in the title). They disallow pbr-3.0.0 and in the case of
>>>     mistral sqlalchemy updates.
>>>
>>>     [mistral]
>>>     mistral - blocking sqlalchemy - milestones
>>
>>     I wonder why mistral is in requirements. Looks like tripleo-common is
>>     depending on it ? Could someone shine some light on this ? It
>>     might just
>>     mean mistral-lib is missing a few functions, and switching the release
>>     model of mistral itself might be overkill ?
>
>     This dependency is currently needed to create custom Mistral
>     actions. It was originally not the best architecture and one of the
>     reasons to create 'mistral-lib' was in getting rid of dependency on
>     ‘mistral’ by moving all that’s needed for creating actions into a
>     lib (plus something else). The thing is that the transition is not
>     over and APIs that we put into ‘mistral-lib’ are still experimental.
>     The plan is to complete this initiative, including docs and needed
>     refactoring, till the end of Pike.
>
>     What possible negative consequences may we have if we switch release
>     model to "cycle-with-intermediary”?
>

> I don't fully understand this, but I have one concern that I'll try and
> explain.
>
> Mistral master is developed against master of other OpenStack projects
> (Keystone for auth, and all projects for OpenStack actions). If we were
> to release 5.0 today, it would mean that Mistral has a release that is
> tested against unreleased Pike but would need to work with Ocata stable
> releases (and AFAIK we do not tested Mistral master with Ocata Keystone
> etc.)

This is true and what makes this hard, but the other
cycle-with-intermediary projects do the same thing (make releases when
using other projects master based releases).  So as long as your testing
is good I don't see a problem.

> We are very close to breaking the link between tripleo-common and
> mistral - I would favour that approach and would prefer a nasty hack to
> rush that along rather than changing Mistrals release cycle. I expect to
> remove mistral from requirements.txt after the transition anyway.

This would be best, but how long will this take?  How long will mistral
be holding back sqlalchemy updates?

> What needs to happen to remove the dep?
> - RDO promotion to get a new mistral-lib release
> - After promotion this should start passing
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/454719/
> - Port this functionality to tripleo-common
> https://github.com/openstack/mistral/blob/master/mistral/utils/openstack/keystone.py
> (we were planning on moving this to mistral-extra, but it could go into
> tripleo-common as a short term solution)

Thanks for the update.