[openstack-dev] [nova] bug triage experimentation

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jul 12 21:18:17 UTC 2017

On 2017-07-12 14:36:21 -0600 (-0600), Sean Dague wrote:
[...]
> It would be really nice if we could this as first class support
> and not bolt on later, because I fear we're going to get pretty
> complicated adhoc schema definitions here that have to be done
> client side.

It's still not entirely clear to me what you're looking for. Like in
LP, tags aren't applied to individual tasks. In LP they're applied
to entire bugs or in SB they're applied to entire stories. Like LP
bugs, stories in SB can have tasks from multiple "projects" (which
in our case with SB map to individual Git repos). Are you requesting
some sort of namespace/prefix selector surfaced in the WebUI when
setting tag names on a story? And if so, where do we take those
namespaces from?

It seems like as a community we can just have a convention that if
someone sets a nova-foo tag on a random story that has nothing to do
with the semantics the nova team expects around the nova-foo tag,
then when that shows up in the Nova team's queries they can unset
that tag on the offending story without worry they're stepping on
anyone else's toes.

The only alternative I can think of is that we, as OpenStack, decide
how we will collectively perform all story tagging. Individual teams
have preferred to use their own workflows for defect tracking in the
past, so if they're all going to play together in a cross-project
system they either need to agree on what different tags mean or
agree to all use distinct tags. I can only assume we'll run into the
same problem in Gerrit with global review tags too, once we have
them.
--
Jeremy Stanley