[openstack-dev] [ironic] New mascot design

Lucas Alvares Gomes lucasagomes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 22:13:22 UTC 2017

I may be biased to some extent but I don't like it.

The mascot doesn't seem to have any personality. It also looks odd
because he has this straight face while he's doing the sign of horns,
it just doesn't work.

I remember when I first saw a logo related to Ironic in that
presentation that Jay and Josh made in the Atlanta summit (2014),
check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oi2T2pSGDU&t=96s

That's a rocker bear. It has a rockstar pose, it has an expression,
the paul stanley star on his face is pretty cool, it's holding a
awesome guitar, etc etc etc... When I think that someone is paying a
professional to create the mascots that's the level of design that I
expect. Now, the proposed bear doesn't even incorporate the main
elements of PixieBoots: 1) It doesn't look like a rockstar and 2) He's
not a drummer [0] (PixeBoots is a drummer bear!).

I have no problem with minimalist logos, I actually like then a lot
but the idea is to capture the essence of something using a simple
design. This one just looks poorly thought out and simpleminded.

[0] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Ironic#Pixie_Boots.2C_the_Ironic_drummer_bear

Cheers,
Lucas