[openstack-dev] [Zun] PTL candidacy

Hongbin Lu hongbin.lu at huawei.com
Sat Jan 28 00:09:35 UTC 2017

Hi all,

This is the first time Zun participants on official PTL election, which is
exciting. I nominated myself to be a candidate of Zun PTL. As the founder of
this project, it is my honor to work with all of you to build an innovative
container service for OpenStack.

Since April 2016, in which the project was founded, the Zun team were making
an impressive progress during these 8 months. With the hard work of the whole
team, we delivered most of the fundamental capabilities. The completed
essential features includes:
* A full-featured container API.
* Two drivers that serve as reference implementations.
* Neutron integration in one of the drivers.
* Two image drivers: Docker Registry (i.e. Docker Hub) and Glance.
* Multi-tenancy: Containers are isolated by OpenStack projects.
* HA deployment: Support multiple compute hosts.
* Horizon integration.
* OpenStack Client integration.

Zun is an important project for OpenStack because it enables unique use cases
that requires container to be an OpenStack-managed resource (i.e. orchstrating
containerized and virtualized resources). Furthermore, it allows users to use
one platform, that is OpenStack, to manage containers, VMs, and baremetal.
To achieve the goal, there are a lot of exicting tasks to do.

For Pike, I would suggest the Zun team to focus on the followings:
* Container network: Integrate with Kuryr-libnetwork for providing networking
  for Docker containers.
* Container storage: Leverage Cinder for providing container data volume.
* Nova integration: Enhance the existing Nova driver.
* Resource management: Enhance the management of compute host resources, and
  introduce different placement policy (i.e. pin container to dedicated
  CPU cores).

Beyond Pike, I would suggest to target for the following use cases:
* Strong isolation between neighboring containers. This could be solved by
  introducing Hypervisor-based container runtime.
* Containerize stateful application (i.e. DBMS).
* NFV/HPC workload.

Also, I would like to highlight that nova-docker is going to retire, and
the users who were using nova-docker might want to find a replacement.
If they are willing to migrate from nova-docker to Zun, I would encourage the
Zun team to help out.

Best regards,
Hongbin