[openstack-dev] [neutron][networking-vpp]networking-vpp for VPP 17.01 is available

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Thu Jan 26 00:19:11 UTC 2017

In conjunction with the release of VPP 17.01, I'd like to invite you all to
try out networking-vpp for VPP 17.01.  VPP is a fast userspace forwarder
based on the DPDK toolkit, and uses vector packet processing algorithms to
minimise the CPU time spent on each packet and maximise throughput.
networking-vpp is a ML2 mechanism driver that controls VPP on your control
and compute hosts to provide fast L2 forwarding under Neutron.

The latest version has been updated to work with the new featuers of VPP
17.01, including security group support based on VPP's ACL functionality.

The README [1] explains how you can try out VPP using devstack, which is
now pleasantly simple; the devstack plugin will deploy the mechanism driver
and VPP itself and should give you a working system with a minimum of
hassle.

We plan on continuing development between now and VPP's 17.04 release in
April.  There are several features we're planning to work on (you'll find a
list in our RFE bugs at [2]), and we welcome anyone who would like to come
help us.

Everyone is welcome to join our new biweekly IRC meetings, Monday 0800 PST
= 1600 GMT, due to start next Monday.
--
Ian.

[1]https://github.com/openstack/networking-vpp/blob/17.01/README.rst