[openstack-dev] [neutron] PTL candidacy

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Wed Jan 25 23:04:00 UTC 2017

On 25 January 2017 at 14:17, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote:

> > Adding an additional networking project to try to solve this will only
> > make things work. We need one API. If it needs to grow features, it
> > needs to grow features - but they should be features that all of
> > OpenStack users get.
>
> WORSE - will make things WORSE - not work. Sorry for potentially
> completely misleading typo.

I should perhaps make clear that whenever I talk about 'other networking
APIs' I am not saying 'I think we should throw Neutron away' or 'we should
invent a shiny new API and compete with Neutron'.  I am saying that there's
value keeping the API of new features from intersecting the old when we add
things that are logically well separated from what we currently have.  As
it is, when you extend Neutron using current techniques, you have to touch
several elements of the existing API and you have no separation -
effectively you have to build outcroppings onto an API monolith.